What We Need:
Hangar 13 is looking for an experienced, progressive, and dynamic Studio Design Director to manage and develop our global design department. As part of the global studio leadership team, this role is pivotal in the strategic planning, management, and development of all aspects of the department across projects. Reporting into the President of Hangar 13, the Studio Design Director is a figurehead for the design department, inspiring and empowering the teams to produce the best work of their careers.
What You Will Do:
- Mentor and develop our designers, as the head of the discipline across the studio.
- Oversee annual and quarterly department performance evaluations, ensuring consistency across projects and locations.
- Define career paths and development plans for the design department, so there is clarity and consistency around how to progress at Hangar 13.
- Identify, plan, and instigate training and development of department skills.
- Work with lead producers to manage studio staffing sheets to evaluate and action all project staffing needs and allocations.
- Responsible for overseeing all department recruitment.
- Responsible for annual department budget, working with in-house finance and lead project producers to ensure all spending is accounted for and captured in project forecasts.
- Ensure a fair and consistent salary structure across the department.
- Work with local HR and support project leads for all HR issues that arise within the department.
- Responsible for department structure, periodically reviewing and suggesting improvements as required.
- Review progress on all Hangar 13 projects as part of the studio leadership team.
- Be aware of, and evaluate, latest design pipelines and technology.
- Cultivate and maintain a global team spirit in the department, across projects and locations.
- Lead by example to ensure a diverse, welcoming, and inclusive team.
- Be part of a positive, solution-focused environment, actively identifying and prioritizing issues as they arise.
Who We Think Will Be A Good Fit:
- At least 10 years+ experience developing videogames in a leadership position.
- Experience operating at a studio level role in the past desirable.
- Extensive game design experience with shipped AAA titles
- Experience working with both bespoke engines and UE4/5.
- Great communication skills, both written and verbal.
Who We Are:
Hangar 13 is an internal 2K development studio creating AAA video game experiences across all major platforms. The studio is based in four locations around the world: Brighton (UK), Brno & Prague (Czech Republic) and Novato (California), working collaboratively as one team. Each of our locations provides the opportunity to work with some of the most talented developers in the industry, on creatively challenging and exciting projects, in a diverse and welcoming environment. Our focus is on making the highest quality games with sustainable, healthy development plans; to continue to tell stories and engage players in worlds and experiences that keep them hooked from start to finish, and to be a studio that our team members feel is somewhere they can make difference and develop themselves alongside our games.
Located just 45 minutes via train from London, Brighton is one of the UK’s most diverse and downright interesting cities. Sat right on the south coast of England, the city is home to a vibrant creative community and is known as an easy-going and tolerant place to live and work. Brighton is home to Victorian piers and palaces, brightly coloured stucco homes and a 5-mile long shingle beach which becomes a post-work social hub during the summer months. Onsite amenities inside our state-of-the-art Brighton studio include a fully equipped kitchen, games room, gym (with showers) and our very own bar. We’re a 30 second walk from Brighton station.
Please note that 2K Games and its studios never uses instant messaging apps or personal email accounts to contact prospective employees or conduct interviews and when emailing, only use 2K.com, hangar13games.com and 2kczech.com accounts.