Who We Are
Hangar 13 is an internal 2K development studio that creates influential AAA video game experiences across all major platforms. The studio is based in four locations around the world: Brighton (UK), Brno & Prague (Czech Republic) and across the US, working collaboratively as one team. Each of our locations provides the opportunity to work with some of the most talented developers in the industry, on creatively challenging and exciting projects, in a diverse and welcoming environment.
Our focus is on making the highest quality games with sustainable, healthy development plans; to tell stories that engage players through worlds and experiences that keep them hooked from start to finish.
We strive to be a studio that our team members know they can make a difference and grow professionally alongside creating games they are proud of.
What We Need
Hangar 13 is in search of an experienced and highly skilled Lead for the Gameplay Design team! The Lead Gameplay Designer will drive the creation of Player features and systems from prototype through to release for the next iteration of the Mafia franchise.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Responsible for the design and quality of the game’s Player systems and features from prototype to shipping
- Collaborate closely with the Directors and Leads to ensure delivery of engaging Stealth and Combat gameplay loops
- Be responsible for the feature development for Player game design
- Evangelise core gameplay features across the project, develop best practices for the designers to utilise in their content
- Ensure that players can understand and use the features in fun and compelling ways
- Analyse, validate and incorporate feedback from the team and external user testing
- Collaborate in cross-discipline pods to implement, tune and balance gameplay
- Author and maintain design documentation
- Lead a team of designers to shape the Player’s experience within the game
- Provide coaching and mentoring to the team
- Empower the team to deliver high quality work
- Collaborate with Production to deliver features, systems and assets, on time and to required quality
What We’re Looking For:
- Passion for owning and iterating on fun mechanics that will engage players
- Experience and deep working knowledge of balance tuning
- Cross-disciplinary collaboration is second nature to you, and you know how to use diverse opinions to bring the best out of your features
- Experience working with Unreal Engine
- Shipped one or more AAA game titles in a Lead Gameplay / 3Cs Design role or similar
- Ability to drive prioritisation and scheduling of work for the whole department
- Strong collaboration skills, able to work well with team members from other disciplines and in other locations
- Strong documentation skills, proficiency with Wiki systems or Confluence is a plus
Hangar 13 prides itself on the diversity of its team members, partners, and communities. For this reason, we remain committed to providing equal employment opportunity in all aspects of the employment relationship, from recruitment and hiring through compensation, benefits, discipline and termination.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are also committed to ensuring that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation(s) to participate in the job application and/or interview process, to perform their essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us if you need to request reasonable accommodation.
SECURITY NOTICE - We have recently been made aware of increasing occurrences of bad actors posing as company HR personnel to gain information from "potential candidates", in the form of job interviews and offers. These scams can be quite sophisticated and appear legitimate.
Please know that Hangar 13 and 2K never use instant messaging apps to contact prospective employees or to conduct interviews.
If you believe you have been a victim of such a scam, you may fill out a complaint form at https://complaint.ic3.gov/ and https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/ detailing as much as possible. We are taking these matters very seriously and apologise for any inconvenience.