We are looking for a skilled Lead Technical Animator who is articulate about the state of the technical animation for modern AAA games, is passionate about empowering technical animators and the team, and is adept at problem-solving for unexpected and unique challenges. We are also looking for highly experienced Unreal Engine user. In addition, you will act as a hub and facilitator of technical knowledge for Engineering, Design, Animation, and Art and be a mentor for Technical Animators as they progress in their careers.
What You Will Do:
- Manage technical artists, mentor and guide the team.
- Collaborate interdepartmentally to establish, refine, and optimize animation pipelines and procedures.
- Create Animation and Art tools for artists and animators.
- Work with all aspects of the animation export and implementation pipeline.
- Work with animators to resolve any roadblocks to their workflow.
- Work with TDs to integrate final and intermediate rigs in-game.
- Manage online Animation databases, including cleaning up obsolete data and optimizing workflow.
- Communicate with Design and Engineering to better anticipate and advise on animation-related technical issues.
- Help generate and set up assets needed for the game’s animation systems. This includes overlays, mirror tables, character templates, and designing animation system flow through visual scripting.
Who We Believe Will Be A Great Fit:
You are someone who can see the bigger picture but also not lose track of the nitty-gritty details. Someone who is comfortable planning expandable pipelines, as well as implementing ad hoc fixes that are needed for rapid prototyping. But also quick to learn about and integrate new systems and tech. Most importantly, you are responsive, self-initiating, and work well with others.
- Solid experience working with animation game systems.
- Experienced in a leadership position managing technical artists.
- Experience managing and updating animation pipeline tools.
- Strong creative and technical problem-solving skills.
- Degree in Computer Animation, Computer Science, or related experience.
- Comfortable with an industry-standard scripting language such as Python MEL script, LUA, etc.
- Expert knowledge of Maya and MotionBuilder.
- Experience building animation systems such as Animation Blueprints, Mecanim, Morpheme, or comparable systems.
- Ability to work independently in a team environment.
- Exceptional communication skills and the ability to collaborate across multiple locations effectively.
- At least one shipped AAA game.
Nice To Have:
- Comfortable with version control software, particularly Perforce.
- Familiar with asset/ Task tracking clients like JIRA and Shotgun.
- Familiar with Havok and or FBX SDK.
- Familiar with widely used animation techniques.
Who We Are:
Hangar 13 is an internal 2K development studio that creates influential AAA video game experiences across all major platforms. The studio is based in four locations around the world: Brighton (UK), Brno & Prague (Czech Republic) and across the US, working collaboratively as one team. Each of our locations provides the opportunity to work with some of the most talented developers in the industry, on creatively challenging and exciting projects, in a diverse and welcoming environment. Our focus is on making the highest quality games with sustainable, healthy development plans; to tell stories that engage players through worlds and experiences that keep them hooked from start to finish. We strive to be a studio that our team members know they can make a difference and grow professionally alongside creating games they are proud of.
Located in the south-east part of the Czech Republic, just a 2-hour drive from Prague, 3 hrs from Budapest and mere 90 minutes from Vienna, surrounded by vineyards from the south-east and highlands from the north-west, Brno is a comfortable place to live and work. This Czech Republic´s second largest city offers everything you need without the big city rush - modern architecture, perfect cuisine, award-winning bars, and diverse countryside.
Located in the heart of Europe, with its enchanting historical centre and magic energy, Prague is one of the world's most stunning cities. The Hangar 13 office is based in the city centre, just a few minutes from the Old Town and its famous astronomical clock. Cultural events, vibrant nightlife, sports and leisure time activities, beautiful nature – all just a few steps away.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Located just 45 minutes via train from London, Brighton is one of the UK’s most diverse and downright interesting cities. Sat right on the south coast of England, the city is home to a vibrant creative community and is known as an easy-going and tolerant place to live and work. Brighton is home to Victorian piers and palaces, brightly coloured stucco homes and a 5-mile long shingle beach which becomes a post-work social hub during the summer months.
Onsite amenities inside our state-of-the-art Brighton studio include a fully equipped kitchen, games room, gym (with showers) and our very own bar. We’re a 30 second walk from Brighton station.